Instagram

Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Idea for Maui Mini-Movies — Family Portrait Shoot with Maile


So I have a crazy new idea..... family video portraits.

I want to try creating 2-3 minute video portraits for families. Like family portraits but instead of still pictures, it's moving video. And don't worry, I'm not visualizing like wedding style videos. It's not going to be a slow documentary of them staring at the camera or anything painfully boring like that. I'm visualizing fast-paced, flashy, colorful fun videos of families playing together on the beach. Quick shots that capture the feeling of being together and having fun.

Is this a slightly random project? Perhaps. haha I've just been wondering about this for a couple weeks now. It's been on my mind. I have this inkling to just try it. No harm done if I hate it or completely suck at it. I've booked a few shoots with some families who are volunteering to be my Guinea Pigs. I'm going to meet them at the beach, run in the sand, splash in the waves, have tickle-fests and play peek-a-boo with the camera. We'll see how it goes. If it's fun and I'm good at it, who knows where this will lead. Maybe I'll start a sister company. I'll shoot women & their families. Maybe the mom's I photograph will be enticed to come to me for beauty portraits too! For now thought, it's just a fun weekend project to get this idea out of my head and onto 'film'. I think I'll call these family mini-movies.

I experimented on my first family last week. I met Maile and her two children at a very local beach near the bird sanctuary in Waiehu, Maui. We splashed in the wee stream and spun around LOTS. I've just started digging through the video footage and of course I'll be sharing it once I finished their mini-movie. The soundtrack I've selected for them is "Let's Be Young" by Evan McHugh. Check it out, it's super fun. For now, enjoy these sweet still portraits that I captured along the way...


Thank you so much Maile for reaching out to me and helping me get started on the island. It was a delight to meet you and your kiddos. You're so sweet and I hope to see you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome!