Instagram

Monday, October 31, 2011

How to Price My Wedding Photography?!?

Pricing has been driving me absolutely mental for days ... maybe even weeks. I finally decided take my prices off of the website but then I still had to sort out what those prices were going to be when people requested them.

I want to be fair to clients but I also want to be fair to myself. The greatest challenge for me has been trying to figure out what my images are worth. Because it doesn't cost me anything to give someone my image file it's easy to think that the images should be free. All the great photographers I've been learning from have been emphasising how the images are the photographers product and they are very valuable. It's in selling their product where most photographers end up making the majority of their money.

I know what my time is worth but I'm still wrapping my head around the idea that I'm now working as an artist and the photos I take are now becoming my artwork and they are actually worth something. Maybe this is just because for 99% of my life so far I haven't been selling my photos so I never associated them with a monetary value. It's only worth what people are willing to pay for it, right? I suppose it's a matter of just building up confidence in myself and a sense of self-worth.

As far as what I've decided to pay myself per hour, it's only fractionally above minimum wage. Considering that I'm doing skilled labour I should probably be charging more but I just can't seem to do it with a clear conscious. Again, I don't feel comfortable in my skills yet to say I'm worth much more than what I earn in my day job at The Crystal Shop.

One day I hope I'll have the confidence and self-knowledge to know exactly what my time and creations are worth.
:)
xoxo
Chamonix



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome!