Instagram

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Standing on the Edge of Infinity


I changed the desktop background on my laptop this morning to a b&w photo of  rocky beach with mist going out as far as the eye can see. I don't normally like having the b&w landscapes as a wallpaper but as my finger hovered over the 'delete' button something about the photo struck me. 

I think it was the idea of standing on the edge of land, knowing that land & water keep going out further and further but from where I'm standing and because of the fog I can't see it. I suppose it just made me think about my future, particularly about the future of Loveducks Photography. I feel like I'm standing on firm solid ground and I know the future is out there but I have no idea what it looks like - no idea what to expect - no idea if I will succeed or fail. It is exciting and slightly scary. I am naturally very optimistic and I had a very fortunate childhood so I guess that's why I always have faith that I'll be successful in whatever I do. There's probably a dash of American spirit in there as well. :P The idea of failure seems improbably but is that just my blind optimism talking? What if it all goes down the drain? What if……

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"A common misconception of photographers new to ultra-wide-angle lenses is that their purpose is to include all objects and subjects within the wide field of view. Invariably, this leads to photos with the primary object/subject squeezed into the center of the frame surrounded by worthless, open space and distracting objects at the sides of the frame. The solution to this error is one that experienced photographers and instructors often repeat to beginners: move closer to your subject! Generally, the wider the angle of the lens, the closer you must be to the subject. Ultra-wide-angles require that you almost touch the subject with the front of the lens housing to be able fill the frame. Another secret is to reserve the use of an ultra-wide-angle to indoor spaces, especially large public buildings or historic homes with tall ceilings and grand stairways. In these cases, you want to record everything the lens sees because all of it is interesting. When you’re outdoors with an ultra-wide, it’s very difficult not to include wasted space from the subject in the middle to the edges of the frame. A counter-intuitive technique that will help you use an ultra-wide correctly is to compose the image based on what you see at the edges, not the center of the frame." {source}

"To enjoy the ultra-wide-angle photography experience, you must be a bit weird,..." {haha I LOVE THIS} {source}

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome!