Instagram

Monday, July 22, 2013

Getting More Clients by Specializing in One Photography Genre

"I'm not getting clients. I'm on Facebook & Twitter. I'm blogging. I'm getting a lot of mixed feedback; when I have a client they say they love their photos but then they don't buy them. My friends say my website looks great and I've had a couple inquiries; people asking for family photos or engagements but after I send them my pricing I never hear back from them. I would love to be successful photographing fashion portraits of women but I don't know how to make that happen. It seems much easier to book family shoots, even though that's not really what I want to do and I'm not making any money at it anyway. And if I switched to photographing just women, I would have to start from scratch. I don't know what to do. Maybe I'm not cut out for this." — A

Dear Friend,

Specialization is a beautiful thing. You know what you're most passionate about. Do that and just that. Stop spreading your energy thin across multiple genres hoping something will take flight. Instead, focus on what you love and make it happen. Make what you do outstandingly obvious to potential clients. Leave 0% room for confusion. Confusion => indecision => frustration => abandonment. When they arrive at your website, they should see your images immediately and know (without any confusion) what your specialty is. This will make their decision to hire you clear and easy => $$$ => :D 

You aren't making money with your current strategy. You have nothing to loose. Switch to photographing women. Make it your specialty. Become a master at this art of women's portraiture. All the business & marketing techniques can't propel you further forward until you're clear on your direction. 

Starting from scratch is also a beautiful thing. Leave all of your own confusion & frustration in the past. Take your lessons learned the hardway and get excited about this clean canvas! You get to define yourself and your artwork anew with more wisdom, experience & passion! Always search for the bright side :)

Lots of creative love,
xoxo
Cham

PS: I really struggled with this decision to specialize when I was transitioning from weddings to women's portraiture. I was worried that all the hardwork I'd put into weddings would be wasted. I was convinced that I could make more money shooting weddings. I questioned if it was the right move to switch to a new genre just as I was getting my foothold in weddings (how could I ever become an expert if I kept jumping around?). Lots of late nights stress eating over this decision just made my jeans fit tighter. In the end, as you can see, I made the change and I'm grateful everyday that I mustered the courage to do it. #totallyworthit!

If you're struggling (or have struggled in the past) with specialization & switching genres, I would LOVE to hear your story. Please share your questions, feedback or advice for other readers in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome!