Instagram

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Horse Portraits in Seattle :: Lynn & Faith

When I was 4 years old my mom decided it was time for me (and her) to learn how to ride a horse. So off we skipped to the horse barn to groom the horses, tickle their ears, saddle 'em up and jump over 'fences.' When I was 12 I decided it was time for me to hop off the horse and tie on some ballet shoes. My mother, on the other hand, galloping around in circles, was living the dream! To this day, she spends hours at the barn every week with all of her two & four legged friends.

When I was in Seattle a few weeks ago, my mom suggested a photo shoot at her barn {Phoenix Farm}. At first I was hesitant, thinking "I'm not sure I'd find photographing horses all that inspiring." But then my wise mother re-proposed the idea from a new angle. 
"What you love about wedding photography is that you get to capture relationships between people, right?"

"Right."

"Well, these women at the barn have very deep relationships with these horses. They visit them everyday, care for them when they're sick, celebrate their birthdays together and pamper them like children. Photographing the horses alone may not inspire you but shooting them with their people is right up your street."
So embracing my role as a 'relationship photographer', I hauled my lenses to the barn and photographed 3 beautiful horses with the women they love. Today I have the honour of sharing with you my favourite shots of the first couple: Lynn & Faith (Faith is the slightly large one of the pair with black hair & big ears).
Most horses are really sociable and they all live together in one big barn. For some reason, Faith prefers rockin' solo. I'll admit her stall did remind me slightly of the solitary isolation wing at a prison (not speaking from personal experience here lol). Walking away from the big barn full of neighing horses we approached a second smaller (and quieter) blue barn. 

Sliding her barn door open, the light from outside poured in just barely exposing her silhouette. Seeing such a powerful black creature buried in the shadows of her voluntary darkness was slightly intimidating and very dramatic (like this sentence lol). "Is she going to bite my hand off?" I thought, "Don't be ridiculous, Chamonix. Just because she really likes black that doesn't mean she's evil." :P
When Faith's mom (Lynn) showed up, the big black persona seemed to melt away and Faith's 'cuter' side started to show. 
Once Faith & Lynn had said 'Good Morning' to each other, we headed to the big barn to make Faith all puurdy and ready to ride! 
We had a great time making funny faces at the camera!


While Lynn was brushing Faith, I had fun with my 100mm Macro Lens which normally lets me get nice and close to wedding rings but at the barn... it made it possible for me to take this photo:

Check out those eyes — gorgeous, right!
Then it was time to ride....

I asked Lynn to run Faith straight at me and then veer away at the last minute. What a min-rush! From the ground...a horse catering up to your face is BIG! I couldn't tame my jumpy reflexes which kept making me flinch. It was especially challenging because I was looking through my 70-200mm lens (aka super zoom lens) which meant "Things through this lens may appear closer than they actually are!)." My  nervous system was screaming at me..telling me I was about to get run over.


Faith was sooo graceful! Lynn asked Faith to walk sideways — crossing one leg over the other. Apparently, this is quite a tricky task so feel free to be impressed. :P
Lessons, learned from my first shoot with horses? Um....I flipping love it!!!! Mom was right — there's a massive relationship here. I adored photographing Faith because her glossy coat of black hair caught the light and reflected back to me in a way that people's skin never does. And her massive eyes, her horseshoes, all of her tack (the saddle, bridal etc...) — it all sparkled with the light! Especially when I turned the photos into sepia tones — this look sprinkled in a touch more drama & reminds me of vintage cowboy portraits :P Goodness gracious she's beautiful!!

Take a bow, Faith!


That's all from me for now. More pictures of relationships between people (and horses!) coming later this week!




PS: While I was captivated by black beauty there was a cheeky little side-story taking place....

Once upon a day at the barn there was a feline named Rusty. (Narrator: What a pretty kitty :D)
"Why hello there pretty kitty," says Joe, the most hyper dog you've ever met in your life.


"Um...I don't think so." says Rusty, "See ya!"

"Not so fast little kitty," barked Joe under his breath. Little did he know that CCTV was switched on & he'd been caught red handed in the heat of the chase!

The Adventures of Rusty & Joe: To be continued...

    

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous work! We're fans! You captured the spirit so eloquently!
    -jen & maddy (riders at Phoenix Farm)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thank you so much Jen & Maddy :) I'm so glad you like them! Next time I'm in Seattle (August) I'd love to meet you guys. I'd love to do some more portraits at the barn too. If you'd be interested, just let me know and I'd be super happy to pop your names on the list :) I hope you guys have a great day!! xoxo Chamonix

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have looked at these photos several times today and with each viewing I have been more deeply moved by their beauty and the story of the relationship they portray. Tear in my eyes. My breath is on pause waiting to view your coming blogs featuring Minka/Trina/Tracy, Michelle/ Oberon and the continuing saga of Russy and Joe. I am trilled that you will be returning State side in August and will be able to return to the barn to tell more photo stories.


    Mom (Trish Rattue)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous. My daughter and I used to ride a PFI-remember your Mom too. Seeing your work rekindles the sleeping giant of my horse deficiency- the smells of leather and sweat, the soft breath, the love of the relationship that is unlike any other. You have caught it! Thank you! Lise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lise,

      Thank you for your lovely message :) I'm so glad that you were moved by the photos. You should totally get back to the horses and then maybe we could take your photo with them sometime!! (I'm so loving horse photography now hehe)!

      I hope you have a lovely day!
      xoxo
      Chamonix

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for the lovely photos! Some of them made me get all "teary eyed" because Faith is such a lovely creature and you have caught some of her personality beautifully. I really appreciate the nice comments you made about her. I am rather biased, but I do like to hear that others find her beautiful or cute as well. I look forward to seeing more of the photos you took of us and of the other horse/rider pairs. I can hardly wait until you come back to visit this summer so we can do it again! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thank you so much Lynn. What a beautiful comment you've made. I would absolutely love to photograph you both again in the summer! I hope you & Faith have a fabulous weekend :D

      Talk to you soon,
      xoxo
      Chamonix

      Delete

You are awesome!