Instagram

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Business Books for Photographers — The E-Myth Revisited

The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber is a MUST READ for business owners. In fact, I might even go so far as to say you should NOT start your business (or continue to run your business) until you have read this book cover to cover! 

What really hooked me was the first few chapters that explained how most people go about starting & running their new small businesses. I felt like Mr. Gerber had ripped some pages out of my journal or printed off some of my blog posts. Everything I'd been through during my first year of business, all the feelings of fear, intimidation, excitement, confusion, overwhelmedness (whats the noun for overwhelm?) and hopelessness.... he painted a perfect picture of my experience. Word for word sometimes. I figured, if he knew my past so well, he probably has something very valuable to say about my future. So, I kept reading.

For three days, I laid beneath a palm tree at the beach near my house and read with my notebook nearby. Half way through the book, I created an Excel spreadsheet to bring some order to all my notes and thoughts. By the time I closed the cover, I had developed a preliminary (though extensive) outline to two businesses! This book held my hand and guided me from a state of overwhelmedness (it's officially a new word now hehe) to a state of clarity and confidence. I now know exactly why I want to be in business, how big my business will grow to be, how much I need to charge for photo shoots and what I need focus my energy right now. Thank you Michael Gerber! 



Have you read The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber? 
Was it helpful for you? 
What are your thoughts?
Do you have a business book you prefer to The E-Myth Revisited?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome!