Instagram

Friday, October 14, 2011

No More 3x5's


"...didn't have a camera by my side this time
hoping I would see the world through both my eyes..."

Alrighty, so I've officially finished my first proper week of working in The Crystal Shop — tiring stuff man! I zoomed home on my bike, checked my email, hopped in the bath and now I'm sitting on the bed in my husband's office space watching him drink a smoothie while I fiddle around on the Loveducks website. So nice to rest my sore feetsies!

I think Migs is slightly mad at me because I spend soo much time on my computer editing photos, updating the website, researching cameras, watching youtube videos for tips on shooting weddings etc... I think he feels neglected and I get that because I do seem to work non-stop. I think I can officially diagnose myself as a work-o-holic. If I'm not working on improving Loveducks then I'm thinking about it and it's driving me every so slightly mental and yet I find it pleasantly exciting. I suppose that's the addiction aspect — I like it but it's harmful.

Tonight I've been thinking about John's Mayer's song 3x5. As you may or may not know, John Mayer is my absolute favourite musician in the whole wide world. Second only to him is Taylor Swift (I heard they may have dated each other once which would be weird for me but whatevs) of course. Anyway, he's amazing and 3x5 has always been a song that's really resonated with me.

In the song, he talks about putting down the camera and seeing the world through your own eyes instead of through a lens all the time. Major lesson for me! For as long as I can remember (even since I was a little girl on holiday with my parents) I've always had the camera glued to my face. It makes my tummy get all scrunchy inside when I spot a great photo opportunity and don't have my camera to hand.

Ever since hearing this song years and years ago I've been practicing taking mental photos. I find that it really does help. I just memorise whatever I'm seeing, burning the image into my brain (not literally), and the urge to capture the moment is satisfied. I suppose our eyes are technically lenses and our brains are basically giant memory cards so why not! You heard it here first, I am a human camera! Oh dear, now I'm just rambling into nothingness. I guess my point is... cameras can work miracles but they can never truly do justice to some of the most amazing sights to be seen in this world (like sunrises). It's in those moments, when I realise my camera just can't capture it, that I surrender and just enjoy being present in that unique moment in time, observing the world without equipment —taking it all in.

I'll turn it over to my dear Mr. Mayer now....


"You should have seen that sunrise with your own eyes
it brought me back to life
You'll be with me next time I go outside
No more 3x5's
I Guess you had to be there
I Guess you had to be with me
Today I finally overcame
tryin' to fit the world inside a picture frame.
.."






xoxo
Chamonix

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are awesome!